Friday, November 13, 2015

Religion and Babies

In the TED talks video, I learned that there is no correlation between religion and the TFR of women. There is more of a relation between the GDP per capita of the nation and the TFR than the dominant religion of that nation. Countries that have a lower GDP per capita tend to have more children on average than countries with a high GDP per capita. Religions like Christianity however, spanned across the entire board, ranging from a TFR of 7 to a TFR of just above 1.
I think that the chart was the most amazing thing evah. The chart covered all aspects that might effect population growth like the size of the nation, the religion, GDP per capita, and the year. I like how the chart is very interactive and you can slide around the year, countries, highlight religion, and size of the nation.
The video does make me feel optimistic about the future of the planet because it reassured me that the population growth is slowing down and that it will eventually stop growing. Over population is ending up to be a bi problem and I do not feel that many leaders are addressing it to the extent needed to end this problem.
I got a 45% on the sporcle quiz

No comments:

Post a Comment